Thursday, January 13, 2011

Retaining Hope

I find myself on such a rollercoaster. I feel like I'm finally at a point where I feel so much hope and trust in our Savior. I know that one way or another we will get through this. Holding on to that hope is the hard part. One day I am filled with hope and the faith that we will get through this. The next day I find myself feeling like there is no possibility of our unemployment ending any time in the near future. Sometimes I feel all of these emotions in one day, like today.

I woke up feeling pretty good and optimistic about things. Don had two great interviews with a company and we were really hoping it would come through. We finally learned today that they really liked him and he was a finalist, but they chose someone else. Unfortunately, a finalist is just as unemployed as the one on the bottom of the list. He also found a job at the church in the Church History department where he used to work. He has several contacts there, so he thought that maybe we'd have a chance. He called the person hiring and was told that everyone that has interviewed so far has either a masters or a PhD. Nobody else is even getting past HR. So, basically, he doesn't stand a chance. When I hear things like this I get so discouraged! If these are the people that we are competing with for each job, how will we ever get one? Whatever happened to choosing the person that is right for the job, or who feels right, or who your gut tells you is a great person? Why is it that education is the only measurable criteria? Ugh. It just makes me crazy.

After all of this, we called Workforce Services yet again. It looks like our unemployment will come through. If it does, we can still survive for awhile. Without it we wouldn't be able to get by for very long, so this is definitely a huge blessing. When I look at how long we've made it and how many blessings have gotten us to this point, I can't help but feel hope. If only I could cling onto it and never let go. I know that's the key, but I haven't mastered the lock yet. One day at a time.....

2 comments:

Chris said...

Oh Kristie, my heart goes out to you and your family. Cling to that hope a while longer... I keep thinking of the scriptures that say "After a trial of their faith..." & I know you feel you've definitely been through that period, when will it end??? I'm sure Heavenly Father is pleased with you recognizing the blessings along the way throughout the trials. Hang on, hang on-He is mindful of your family.
I'm so glad to hear that the unemployment services are finally listening to you again.
You're a wonderful example! Our prayers are with you!

Unknown said...

Sure love you and your attitudes throughout the last couple of years. You are so special and perfect as a family. I know your Heavenly Father loves you and is so anxious for you to succeed. It will happen! We put Don's name in the temple every week, and that will help a lot. Keep smiling! I worry about all of you and pray for you daily. Have a great Valentines Day even if you only make heart shape pancakes, it can be special with the hugs and kisses. Don't let Don get too discouraged. Its very easy to get down in the dumps. All is well here and the new shop is nearly perfataped and ready for paint. I'll be busy with that shortly. Love, Mom Barfuss