For Family Night last night we decided to have a picnic at the base of Ensign Peak, then hike up. The weather had been cloudy off and on all day, but at the time it looked pretty good, so we decided to go for it.


There was a couple with a dog hiking behind us. Addie kept chanting over and over, "There's a doggy over there. He's nice. He's not getting me. There's a doggy over there. He's nice. He's not getting me. There's a doggy......." Funny girl. Everything was good and we were having a great time. As soon as we got to the top.....
...the rain began. Not just a little rain, but a complete soaking. We were all drenched. The kids (in their shorts and t-shirts) were scared and crying. I grabbed Addie and we hurried back down the mountain. The rain only lasted 5 minutes or so, but as I walked holding Addie tight and trying to keep her warm while she was shaking and crying and I could hear the boys crying behind me, I had several thought and feelings come to mind. I couldn't help but remember the pioneers and in particular the Willey Martin Handcart company. We just saw 17 Miracles last weekend and I couldn't help but think what it must have been like to know that they had no shelter to run to (our van with its heater was only 10 minutes away), no warm shower or other ways to warm up. I felt so helpless with no way to help Addie get warm. No way to keep her dry and away from the wind. I know that this was just a tiny glimpse of what it must have been like, but it was a powerful reminder of all the blessings we enjoy.



1 comment:
Sounds like a memorable evening! Jackson saw the pictures and said, "Hey, Addie is getting bigger!" ...I didn't think we'd been gone that long...
Post a Comment