There are many discomforts that come with being pregnant and this pregnancy is no exception. I've tried really hard to eat right and I continue to exercise 5-6 times per week and I've gained 1/3 of the weight that I have with other pregnancies. At 31 weeks I look like I did when I was four months pregnant with the other three. So, being smaller this time around I was hoping for a few less discomforts. No such luck, but still I am enjoying this time of feeling the baby move and getting excited for the day of his/her arrival and finding out who this little person is. Along with the normal vericose veins and sciatica that I get with each pregnancy I have an interesting little side effect. My left ear has been clogged for about a month. My OB gave me an antibiotic to see if it would clear up, but no such luck. So, he sent me to an ENT a couple of days ago. This doctor was quite interesting and he obviously didn't look at the notes that the Medical Assistant took before he came in the room. Within 30 seconds of bein in the room he diagnosed me with otosclorosis, which is the hardening of a bone in my ear. He said that I currently had 25% hearing loss in that ear and that by the time I'm 40 I would need either a hearing aid or surgery to replace the bone. I was a little freaked out, but tried to be optimistic in knowing that while this wasn't ideal, it was certainly something that could be dealt with. He sent me to get my hearing checked, which in spite of hardly being able to hear anything besides my own breathing (imagine needing to pop your ears ALL the time), I passed the test with flying colors. So, back to visit with this so-sure-of-himself doctor. He then told me that this is pregnancy related and that with the extra fluid in my body that comes with pregnancy, some of it settled in my ear. He gave me a nasal spray and said, "this may or may not work. Just use it and your ear should clear up after you deliver." So, in 8-9 weeks, hopefully, my ear will be back to normal.
So, I'm not losing my hearing after all, but if I seem out of it when you see me, it's because I'm hearing everything very differently than normal. Wierd.
Anyway, on a completely different note, here is a funny picture of Addie. She's decided that she's old enough to dress herself and I've decided to allow her to have some creative independence in this area. I make have to revoke that priviledge soon. :)
No comments:
Post a Comment