Saturday, July 3, 2010

Emergency Room

A few days ago our DVD player broke and it's unrepairable. The next day our A/C quit working and we had to fork out quite a bit of money to get it running again. I wondered what the next day (which was Friday) would bring. We made it to 10:00 at night without incident and I figured that maybe our luck was changing. I was mistaken. Here's what happened:

We were out a little late watching some fireworks at my work. We got home and were getting the kids ready for bed. Evan had just brushed his teeth and ran to the bathroom to spit. Unfortunately, Addie was in his path. He bumped her and she went down. She hit her mouth on the tile floor. Things like this happen occasionally, so I didn't think too much about it. I just figured a mommy kiss would fix it and she would be fine. Then I noticed the blood. It looked like the inside of her upper lip was stuck in between her front teeth!!! It bled like crazy when I tried to pull it out. She was obviously in a lot of pain and her lip was swelling fast. I knew that InstaCare was already closed, so I grabbed her and we ran up to Lakeview. When I got there I realized that my insurance changed on July 1st (of course, this would be the day before the incident). I couldn't go to Lakeview anymore. So, Don's brother, Jed, saved the day and came to watch the boys while Don and I took Addie up to Primary Children's. It made me crazy that she would have to wait an additionally 25 minutes or so in pain while we drove all the way up there. Little did I know that she would have a lot longer than that to wait!

At Primary Children's we learned that it wasn't her upper lip, but rather her frenulum. There's your new word of the day! It's the thing that you can feel between your lip and gums. (I know that you're all feeling for it with your tongue right now!) That was what was stuck in between her front teeth!! This was seriously such a weird thing. I've never even heard of this happening. I was having nightmares of them coming in and strapping her down to pull it out. She was going crazy whenever anyone came near her. I guess that's a little anxiety left over from when she got her shots a couple of weeks ago. It sounded horribly painful and traumatic for both of us. Thankfully, after a couple of hours of waiting around, the doctor came in and told us not to do anything and that the problem would dissolve on it's own. The piece of frenulum that was stuck will die and fall off within a week, then it will be back to normal. I am very relieved, but I sure wish that the doctor could have popped her head in a couple hours earlier just to say, "she's okay, go home." We got home at about 1:30 am.

I am hoping for a normal and very boring day today. No more excitement!

5 comments:

Jack said...

Yikes. So sad for Addie.

Btw, the other day Jackson said, "Addie, Jackson, play."

Mrs. Shirts said...

I'm so sorry! I hope today is a better day. Love you guys!

Blog managed by Andrea said...

Ok it just does not sound like fun! And talk about random...younguys get the prize! I hope you are all managing her discomfort alright.

Mandy said...

Poor little girl and poor Evan. He is so loving and i bet he felt awful!

Jay and Krista said...

Poor Addie! I hope she is feeling better!