Tuesday, September 29, 2009

Four months

I have been hesitant to blog about Don's layoff. I didn't want our blog to be a big pity party and I wanted to wait until I had some good news to blog about it. However, today marks four months since the layoff and I think it's time for an update. Don has had lots of interviews, but no takers so far. Things have gotten a lot easier since the unemployment insurance finally kicked in. We had to really fight to get it, but we won. Before that we were paying for everything out of our savings. You can imagine how quickly that was dwindling. So, the unemployment pays for the mortgage and Don and I both have little jobs that somehow pay for everything else. It's been amazing how little we can live on and still be fairly comfortable. Anyway, the unemployment will last for another five months, so hopefully we're okay until then and we'll find a fantastic job in the meantime.

This has been a huge learning experience for both of us. I can honestly say that I'm a stronger person because of this trial and I am very thankful for all that I have learned. We have both really learned to rely on the Lord and we have watched as He has blessed us over and over again. Just as an example, we have been given soooo much food!! A few weeks ago we came home and found food on our doorstep. I opened my freezer to put it in and realized that there was no room for it. Keep in mind that at this point it had been three months since I had gone to the grocery store. The scripture 'ye shall not have room enough to receive it' popped into my head. We really have been blessed so much.

Don has an interview this morning, so we'll see how that goes. If he gets it, I'll be ecstatic. If he doesn't, I know that we'll be okay. Thanks for all of your prayers!

2 comments:

Erin Boyle said...

I have tears in my eyes! You are an amazing, beautiful person and I am blessed by you, your example and your friendship!
Erin

Liz said...

Kristi, you are amazing. Something like this really unites the family and brings us closer to our Heavenly Father. I know your family is being blessed and I pray you will find something soon. In the meantime, keep up the positive attitude. I know it can be tough!