Saturday, September 26, 2009

My birthday boys

Evan is 6 years old today!!! I can hardly believe it. Here are 6 things that I love about Evan:

1. I have always loved Evan's relationship with Addie. It really was instant for both of them. They just adore each other and there's not much that Evan enjoys more than making her laugh.

2. Evan has an incredible thirst for knowledge. He always asks to watch the news. I guess he just wants to know what's going on. When he earned a new coloring book, he instead chose a math book and proceeded to teach himself to add and subtract. He is an amazing reader. He reads the scriptures with us without much help. He loves to use his reading talent to discover all sorts of new things. His most recent library book is about the uncovering of bodies from Pompeii. Yeah, Don let him pick that one out. He loves books and movies about bugs, animals, volcanoes, and the human body. He'll choose those over fun books every time.

3. Evan really does try his hardest to choose the right. He notices when someone else isn't choosing the right and doesn't understand why they would do that. He's very aware of what's right and what isn't.

4. Evan shares with his dad his love of maps. They both could stare at maps for hours. They are just fascinated by all that they can learn by looking at them. Personally, I don't get it. But I love that they share this interest.

5. I love that Evan says such funny things. He knows perfectly well where the rain comes from, but a few days ago he asked me if Heavenly Father jumps on the clouds to make the rain come out. Silly boy!

6. I love Evan's smile. I love his brown eyes and his cute freckles across his nose. I love watching him grow up and try to figure out this world. I love you Evan and I hope that you have the best birthday ever!

Don turned 30 yesterday and here are 30 things that I love about him:

1. That he tries so hard not to snore.
2. He loves to juggle.
3. Watching him be goofy to make the kids laugh.
4. Hearing the funny bedtime stories that he makes up on the spot.
5. His blue eyes.
6. His love for the Lord.
7. His love for his family, both our little family, and his parents and bros and sister.
8. That he gets up with the kids at night.
9. That he treats me as an equal partner and he will always help with whatever needs done.
10. That I don't need to tell him what needs to be done, he just does it.
11. I love that he watches the kids while I work and does an amazing job of it. They're usually in bed when I get home.
12. His optimism.
13. How hard-working he is.
14. I love that he waits until I'm not home to watch his movie obsessions (like Star Wars and Lord of the Rings)
15. That he waits until the kids are asleep to watch those movies too.
16. I love that Don was brave enough to shave his head. I love it!
17. His creative mind. He has all sorts of inventions and story-lines and t-shirt designs and business ideas running through his head at all times.
18. Watching him referee a soccer game.
19. That he's not embarrassed to love classical music.
20. His relationship with his mom and his love for his grandma.
21. That he hiccups after every sip of a carbonated drink.
22. I love that he wants to be good.
23. It's wacky how much he likes numbers and keeps track of things like how many days he's been alive and how many months we've been married (100 months as of yesterday).
24. He's always got a music beat in his head. He's always drumming it out with his hands. I often have to stop him during church. Who knows how much noise he makes in priesthood when I'm not there. :)
25. He can hear music and remember that it was in a movie that he saw one time years ago.
26. I love the blue pencil mark tattooed on his knee.
27. When he wears mismatched clothes and blames it on being colorblind.
28. When he calls blue purple, and vice versa, then insists that he's right.
29. His love of all things chocolate.
30. EVERYTHING! I love everything about Don and I am so grateful for him. I hope that you had a wonderful birthday!!!

2 comments:

Nearly Flowers said...

Don, welcome to the 30s! And Happy Birthday to you and Evan.

glenna said...

I love that Evan loves maps, I could look at maps all day too. Cute post about both of your boys!