On Wednesday I put a potato in the microwave and hopped in the shower. A few minutes later, I heard the fire alarms go off, then the boys came in scared and crying. I could see through the open door behind them that the house was filled with smoke. So, I grabbed a bathrobe and all three kids and went running for the front door. On the way, I could see that the fire was contained to the microwave. So, I grabbed the fire extinguisher and pulled the pin out. Then I realized that I didn't want to have to clean up that mess, so I grabbed some water and poured it over the fire and put it out. It was so scary!Like I said, the house was filled with smoke, so I called the insurance company to find out what to do. They told me the name of a company to call. I did, and they came out to give us a quote. When they got here the guy said that there is new equipment that has never before been used in Utah. If we wanted to try it out and the write up what we thought of it, they would do it for free. I felt like the 1,000th customer or something, I was so excited. So, they opened all of our cupboards and doors.....
...and set up their machine. We left for awhile, then came back. The smell was still really strong. With the yucky smell and the cold air blowing (we had to leave the heater off for this to work), we decided not to sleep there. So, Mom and Dad Shirts were nice enough to let us stay at their house overnight. Thursday morning we returned home to find.....a smelly, cold house. It totally didn't work. So, we called the company back and they told us to use this specific air freshener and air out and completely clean the house. Don spent the entire morning driving from store to store looking for this air freshener. I finally called the manufacturer and, guess what? They quit making it in 2005. So, morning wasted, we spent the afternoon spring cleaning the house. We had to clean windows and screens and pretty much everything. It needed done anyway, it just wasn't something I wanted Don to take a day off of work for. Oh, well. The cleaning company let us use their big fans for $50/day. So, this morning I called and told them that the smell was better and they could come get their fans. When the lady came, she said that they set up their machine all wrong and that it really works, they just did it wrong. I'm so annoyed!!! First of all they do it wrong, then they tell us to use an air freshener that doesn't exist, then they tell us that we really didn't need to clean everything yesterday. If they had just figured out how to set everything up right before coming to our house, it would have worked. Then they had the gall to still charge us the $50 for using the fans!!!Anyway, all annoyance aside, we are all safe, including 3-week-old Addie, and our smoke alarms work very well, and the boys had a great time with the fans.
Maybe it was worth $50 just for that.
4 comments:
Drama! I hate Drama.
Wow don't you hate it when you are forced to clean something you have been putting off?
That experience with the company sounds similar to the problem we had with the Soft water system repair man.
Glad everything turned out well.
So glad to know everyone is safe. Gotta love the boys for being so easily entertained with the fans... if only I were...
Love you guys!
Ummm, I'm guessing you'll be getting a new microwave?
Jordan decided to "heat" a muffin with the paper still on it one Sunday afternoon while we were napping. (years ago)We were woken up by some frantic kids and a smoke-filled kitchen. I think she accidently pressed something like 30 min. instead of 30 sec. Funny how that extra zero makes such a difference eh? ha
Sorry you had such a hassel! Can't believe they would still charge you the $50.00 after their mistake. By-the-way, what kind of write-up will you be giving them? ;)
Post a Comment